D89 Summer Learning
Given the learning interruptions caused by COVID-19 in the past year, SD89 is planning several different options to allow students to continue learning over the summer. Please note that some opportunities will be by invitation only, while others will be open to all students.
Important notes about the invitation only courses:
- The invitation-only courses will be geared towards students eligible for extended school year (ESY) or who are currently receiving interventions.
- Summer courses will take place from June 8 – July 1 from 9 – 12:30.
- Summer school will be in-person in the following locations.
- K-2 at Jane Addams
- 3-5 at Garfield
- 6-7 at Stevenson Middle School
- In partnership with the YMCA, we will be hosting a Power Scholars Academy for 1st graders across the district.
- Program will be held at Melrose Park School
- Families whose children will be invited to participate will be contacted later this month.
Important notes about options that do not require an invitation.
- Students in PreK – 7th will receive take-home reading materials to continue reinforcing literacy during summer break.
- Students will have the option to do print-based learning activities throughout the summer.
- We ask that families who would like to request the print-based learning option to please complete the survey by April 30th. The link is here: https://bit.ly/3v9pWfL
- Students will have the option to do self-paced digital learning using the district’s digital resources.
- A list of available digital resources will be provided
- Academic Power Pods (APP) in reading and math will be offered for students in K – 7th
- APPs will consist of 3 – 5 students
- Teachers will provide 1 hour virtual learning sessions M – TH for 5 weeks
- APP will begin June 21st – July 22nd
- The time for the virtual sessions will be will be shared once the groups are created, however timeframe will be 11 – 4PM
- Students in 4th – 7th grade will have the opportunity to join a summer athletic camp each session. Each sport will be held at the locations below and will be run simultaneously.
- Program will run M – TH from 9 – 12
- Students can sign-up for one sport each session
- Space will be limited to 40 participants
- Families will be able to sign-up for the sports camp through the district website starting on May 17th (first come first serve)